Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Beatin' the poli sci majors....

The grade for the class that is intended for (and almost completely populated by) political science majors, PS 309 (Equality & Justice in US Law--essentially a caselaw course) came back as an A+, which was really nice in an "apparently" difficult class. Then again, it's always nice to pick up the A+ :-).

I won't know of course until 1am what the final exam grade is however. Due to the way the TRACS system operates, the grade appears in the live database lookup via "Past Semester Grades" after they make the semidaily grade processing run at about 6pm, but the static database containing final exam grades and current grades is not updated until the live system goes down for the night (sometime after midnight). Based on the grades of my tests and the assumption that the professor practices standard rounding, I needed a 97 on the exam to get the A+ (98-100 A+, 93-97 A; test 1=98 (30%) test 2=98 (30%) final 40%). It is possible that she bumps grades up a bit, since her grade distributions show a greater concentration of higher grades than test results would show. Unfortunately I'll never know the true distribution because NC State does not post grade distributions of summer session classes, even if they meet the required seat count of 20 or more.

I'm more interested in what I get on the PS 205 (Law & Justice) exam and class grade. I anticipate that that will be posted and available tomorrow. The same grading policy is in effect for that class as was for 309, but somehow in a class that is apparently "easier", I was doing worse (test 1=87; test 2=88). The professor adds 2 points to your final grade if you have 2 or fewer unexcused absences (yes), but even with that, to get the A I would need a 95 on the exam, which may or may not have happened based on the multiple choice. This class had a lower distribution of test scores, so I suspect that she may be tweaking grades somewhat if the class looks like the professor's previous class distributions. If I somehow get the mathematically impossible A+, I'll know.

METAR KRDU 290151Z 18002KT 10SM SCN017 BKN024 OVC085 23/22 A3012 RMK SLP194

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home